Saturday, September 20, 2008

26 West Bike Park


Over the course of the last 2 weekends, I've been taking the short scenic drive down Interstate 26 to the 26 West Bike Park. I went on opening weekend back in June and I can't say I was disappointed because I new that the new park was somewhat underfunded and I had a feeling that opening weekend would not be without it's glitches. After not having gone back over the last couple months, I decided to go last weekend. Since they will be hosting the State DH championships in a few weeks, I wanted to dial in some lines and scope things out. I must say that last saturday was one of those days that makes you feel glad to be alive. I woke up late, watched the World Cup Downhill finals in Schladming Austria live on freecaster.tv, and then drove up to 26 West to spend the afternoon pealing of DH runs, one after another. The park had improved considerably since I first went, the lift operation worked flawlessly, and the trails had really bedded in nicely.


I went up this weekend and was able to really get my lines down pat and I'm really looking forward to the race. There's a really fun new rock jump line that they've built for the expert course and they'll be adding on a whole bottom section that from the looks of it will be pretty much scary fast and steep! I nailed a couple of lines that I hadn't been able to hit last weekend which is always a good feeling. The only bummer for today was that the lift was not running due to an inspection complication and we had to ride up in the back of this crazy dude's mom's work van. There was only seat room for three, so if you didn't get in early, you were sitting on the floor of the van. It's never fun being packed into a vehicle like that with 15 stinky dudes but you gotta do what you have to sometimes. It didn't make matters worse that the driver was chain smoking cigs while bragging to us about how many DWI's he'd gotten, how fast he could make it to the top of the hill, and doing his best to prove it to us. Yikes!! Anyway, it was a great day of riding and I'll be back to 26 West soon

No comments: